Jon David HuffmanManaging Trial Attorney
Mr. Huffman’s hallmark is aggressive and effective representation. He excels in the most contentious of cases with proven results in trial. Mr. Huffman practices in the areas of real estate disputes, business disputes, fraud, construction disputes, technology litigation, trade secrets and restrictive covenant litigation. He also does other cases that demand zealous and forceful representation.
Mr. Huffman treats every case like it will go to trial and normally conducts several trials and arbitrations per year. Often, he takes over for other attorneys when it becomes clear that a case will need to be tried.
Recently, after an 8-day jury trial, he obtained a verdict against several defendants – including a Fulton County Commissioner – for over $400k for malicious prosecution. In two other cases, Mr. Huffman obtained an apology on the stand from the opponent during cross-examination. See Case Results below for other examples.
Raves from Clients:
“[Mr. Huffman] and his associate took on an especially complicated case for me …. throughout the four-day trial … [Mr. Huffman] and [his associate] built a bizarre, iffy case into a winnable one with a very favorable outcome for us. I truly hope you never, ever, need their help but, should you, I recommend them highly without reservation.” J. J. – Fraud case.
“There is a true and real difference between attorneys, and beyond that distinction, you are the best of the best.” C. G. – CEO in Business Dispute case.
You … did a PHENOMENAL job! You are a very gifted attorney; especially your cross examination! N. P. – Fraud and Negligence case.
Honors and Awards
Top 50 Verdicts in Georgia in 2016 – Amount $306,195.75 33rd Verdict in Georgia in 2016
- Super Lawyer’s Magazine – Rising Stars List (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020)
This exclusive list recognizes no more than the top 2.5 percent of attorneys in Georgia.
- 2018-2019 America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators®
Selection to America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators® is by invitation only and is reserved to identify the nation’s most exceptional trial attorneys in high value, high stakes legal matters. Only the top 100 qualifying attorneys in each state will receive this honor and be selected for membership among America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators®. With these extremely high standards for selection to America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators®, less than one-half percent (0.5%) of active attorneys in the United States will receive this honor — truly the most exclusive and elite level of attorneys in the community.
- “Understanding Lender Options Upon Real Estate Loan Default,” Part 2 of 2 published in The Profit by Atlanta Real Estate Investors Alliance, March 26, 2013
- Understanding Lender Options Upon Real Estate Loan Default, Part 1 of 2 published in "The Profit" by Atlanta Real Estate Investors Alliance, February 28, 2013
- Caution Landlords: Accepting Money After Filing an Eviction Impacts Your Rights published in "The Profit" by Atlanta Real Estate Investors Alliance, February 1, 2013
- Seminar/CLE: “Adverse Possession and Trespass under Georgia Law, July 2015:” I was privileged to give a presentation on adverse possession and trespass under Georgia law for a Seminar/CLE on "Land and Water Law: Ownership and Access." Topics included the history of the adverse possession and trespass law, the elements of each claim, common defenses, and historical and anticipated trends in the law.
- "Should I Strategically Default? - From a Commercial Borrower's Perspective" given to the Georgia Real Estate Investors Association and sponsored by their Commercial / Multifamily Education Subgroup, February 5, 2013
- Attorney Panel Discussion: Atlanta REIA, October 2013: Served on a four-person attorney panel discussing structuring concepts, litigation strategies, and various real estate issues for real estate investors.
State Bar of Georgia, Real Property Law Section,
Member, 2018 Legislative Committee
State Bar of Georgia, Business Section,
Atlanta Bar Association
Lawyer’s Club of Atlanta
- Malicious Prosecution: $400k+ Verdict. After an 8-day trial, the jury returned a verdict in excess of $400k for malicious prosecution and intentional infliction of emotional distress, among other claims. The award included a full award of attorney fees. The defendants included a Fulton County Commissioner which was found liable for his role in the arrest and prosecution of Mr. Huffman’s clients.
- Fraud: $300k+ Verdict. Obtained jury verdict in excess of $300k on behalf of two clients against con-artist who defrauded them out of $90k. Verdict included $100k in punitive damages and a full award of attorney’s fees. Apology obtained during cross-examination. This verdict was a Top-50 Verdict in Georgia that year.
- Negligence/Fraud: $125k Settlement. After two days at trial and before closing arguments, obtained a settlement of $125k on behalf of student who sued Georgia College and State University for fraud and negligence for not being accredited in the program the student was seeking. Settlement well exceeded all attorney’s fees and special (monetary) damages. The case and successful resolution made the local TV. Apology obtained during cross-examination of College’s main witness.
- Property Rights: ~$500k Settlement. On the day of trial and after judgment was entered against one defendant (of three), secured settlement by other two defendants to pay ~$500k in slander of title, tortious interference of property rights, and trespass case. The settlement amount was more than double the actual damages and attorney’s fees combined.
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty: ~$100k Verdict. Secured a jury verdict of nearly $100k on behalf of homeowners against their HOA for abusive behavior and breach of fiduciary duty. Verdict included an award of attorney's fees.
- Construction Litigation: Successful Defense. Successfully defended general contractor and property owner against four frivolous, inflated, and coordinated mechanic’s liens that would have required a $500k+ bond to discharge before owner could sell property. Resolved in less than 60 days after several forced depositions and frivolous litigation threats.
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty: Reduced Buyout by $500k: Successfully forced a 25% partner out of a business after suing to remove it as Manager, mismanagement, breach of fiduciary duty, and other claims, resulting in a buyout of that partner for $500k less than market value.
- Wrongful Foreclosure: ~$200k Loan Forgiveness: Achieved complete forgiveness on a 1st and 2nd mortgage owed to a national mortgage company resulting in an ~$200k forgiveness and a free and clear house to the borrower. This settlement was achieved after vigorously prosecuting a discovery dispute to an attorney’s fee award.
- Commercial Eviction / Breach of Fiduciary Duty: $100k+ Settlement: Achieved six figure settlement against a tenant after aggressively pursuing the business and filing suit against the partners individually (who did not have a personal guaranty) for breach of fiduciary duty for plundering the business of its assets.
- Business Partnership Dispute: Successful Receivership & Return of Retirement Savings: Successfully represented a business partner, who invested virtually her entire retirement savings in a business, in obtaining a receivership appointed over corporate assets, injunctive relief, and ultimately, a favorable resolution, which returned almost all her retirement savings to her.
- Negligent Construction: Full Damages: After a bench trial, obtained plaintiff’s verdict for full damages in negligent construction case involving a faulty roof installation for full damages.
- Business Dispute: Complete Dismissal of Claims: Due to aggressive defense in business partnership dispute with allegations of fraud, racketeering and other claims, received a complete dismissal with prejudice of all claims against my client.
- Construction: Defense Judgment. Successfully defended a contractor in a negligent construction case involving alleged wrongful permitting and damages resulting from faulty work. Instead, obtained a judgment on contractor’s counterclaims and successfully collected it.
- Property Rights: Obtained injunctive relief (an order halting foreclosure) in a wrongful foreclosure case involving two commercial properties and four residential properties. Thereafter, quickly settled for five figures in damages.
- Property Rights: Complete Relief: Successfully obtained summary judgment and declaratory judgment in favor of client in dispute with neighbors over ingress/egress rights, easement issues, and land ownership issues. Client received 100% of what was requested including a permanent injunction against the neighbors’ interference.
- Property Rights: Successfully obtained summary judgment and declaratory judgment in favor of client in dispute with neighbor over rights to use and ownership of a private landing strip. After noticed for trial, obtained favorable resolution with Defendants.
J.D., Emory University School of Law
Recipient of numerous Dean’s Awards Thesis: “In Limbo: Property Associations and the ‘Clogging of Revenue’ – Redefining the Property Association’s Problem with an Alternative Solution”
B.S., Management, Covenant College
Thesis: "The Loan Originator and the Foreclosure Crisis" - an in-depth analysis of the role the loan originator played in the subprime crisis
United States District Court, Northern & Middle Districts of Georgia
Supreme Court of Georgia
Court of Appeals of the State of Georgia
All State and Superior Courts of Georgia