Jon David HuffmanManaging Attorney
“When potential clients ask me, "Why should I use you?" I always say, "Because I like to win more than I like to make money."
Jon David believes his clients are best served by quickly and effectively resolving legal disputes, whether by negotiation, mediation, arbitration or litigation. He considers the trial process a means to achieve his clients’ interests, not an end in and of itself.
With more than a decade of experience managing small businesses before attending law school, he brings a unique perspective to the practice of law. At the age of 14, Jon David began acquiring business experience by working at an Internet company his father managed. By the time he was 17, he had earned the position of director of network operations supervising several engineers and overseeing the company’s 24/7 networking center.
Building on this experience, after the Internet company was sold, Jon David moved on to co-found a real estate lending company and a sister real estate investment company that are still active and successful today. Combined, the two companies have done tens of millions of dollars worth of transactions throughout the Southeastern U.S. To learn more about Jon David’s background visit his LinkedIn page.
Jon David’s diverse background gives him a business owner’s perspective to practicing law in the areas of Real Estate Disputes, Business Disputes and Commercial Collections. His background gives him the ability to solve disputes with efficiency and creativity.
Jon David grew up in Marietta, GA, and currently lives in Tucker, GA., with his wife Amy. When not working, he enjoys reading about economics, entrepreneurship and history and is active in his church, Briarlake Baptist Church. He also enjoys traveling. He and his wife recently visited Turkey, Greece, Belize and Honduras.
J.D., Emory University School of Law
Recipient of numerous Dean’s Awards Thesis: “In Limbo: Property Associations and the ‘Clogging of Revenue’ – Redefining the Property Association’s Problem with an Alternative Solution”
B.S., Management, Covenant College
Thesis: "The Loan Originator and the Foreclosure Crisis" - an in-depth analysis of the role the loan originator played in the subprime crisis
United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia
Supreme Court of Georgia
Court of Appeals of the State of Georgia
All State and Superior Courts of Georgia
State Bar of Georgia, Real Property Law Section
State Bar of Georgia, Business Section
Atlanta Real Estate Investors Alliance
American Bar Association
- BH Chamblee, LLC et al. v. BAP Chamblee, LLC, Case No. S15A1065, Supreme Court of Georgia, regarding management obligations among members of a limited liability company.
- Obtained jury verdict of approximately $300k on behalf of two clients against con-artist who defrauded them out of $90k. Verdict included $100k in punitive damages and a full award of attorney’s fees.
- Secured a jury verdict of nearly $100k on behalf of homeowners against their HOA for abusive behavior and breach of fiduciary duty. Verdict included an award of attorney's fees.
- Successfully represented a business partner in obtaining a receivership appointed over corporate assets, injunctive relief, and ultimately, a favorable settlement.
- Obtained plaintiff’s verdict in negligence construction case involving a faulty roof installation.
- Obtained injunctive relief in a wrongful foreclosure case involving two commercial properties and four residential properties.
- Successfully defended a contractor in a negligent construction case involving alleged wrongful permitting and damages resulting from faulty work.
- Obtained plaintiff’s verdict in case regarding damages and eviction of commercial tenant.
- Obtained plaintiff’s verdict on mechanic and materialmen’s lien.
- Successfully obtained order in favor of client in dispute with neighbors over ingress/egress rights, easement issues, and land ownership issues.
- Successfully represented a borrower against a national mortgage company resulting in a complete forgiveness of amount owed on mortgage.
- Represented technology companies in cases regarding breach of trade secrets.
- Represented corporations, shareholders, and officers in breach of fiduciary duty cases.
- Represented lenders in foreclosure, suits, and bankruptcy issues.
- Understanding Lender Options Upon Real Estate Loan Default, Part 2 of 2 published in "The Profit" by Atlanta Real Estate Investors Alliance, March 26, 2013
- Understanding Lender Options Upon Real Estate Loan Default, Part 1 of 2 published in "The Profit" by Atlanta Real Estate Investors Alliance, February 28, 2013
- Caution Landlords: Accepting Money After Filing an Eviction Impacts Your Rights published in "The Profit" by Atlanta Real Estate Investors Alliance, February 1, 2013
- "Should I Strategically Default? - From a Commercial Borrower's Perspective" given to the Georgia Real Estate Investors Association and sponsored by their Commercial / Multifamily Education Subgroup, February 5, 2013
- Seminar/CLE on Adverse Possession and Trespass under Georgia Law, July 2015: I was privileged to give a presentation on Adverse Possession and Trespass under Georgia law for a Seminar/CLE on "Land and Water Law: Ownership and Access." Topics included the history of the adverse possession and trespass law, the elements of each claim, common defenses, and historical and anticipated trends in the law. Please contact me if you like a copy of the materials.
- Attorney Panel Discussion: Atlanta REIA, October 2013: Served on a four-person attorney panel discussing structuring concepts, litigation strategies and various real estate issues for real estate investors.
- Habitat for Humanity - DeKalb, Board Member & Secretary
- Atlanta Pregnancy Resource Centers, Board Member
- Briarlake Baptist Church, Life Group Leader, Deacon, and Committee Member