Mr. Huffman’s hallmark is aggressive and effective representation. He excels in the most contentious of cases with proven results in trial. Mr. Huffman practices in the areas of fraud, business disputes, real estate disputes, defamation, construction disputes, technology litigation, trade secrets, restrictive covenant litigation, and other cases that demand zealous and forceful representation. Mr. Huffman’s practice also includes complex bankruptcy and regulatory litigation.
Mr. Huffman normally conducts several trials and arbitrations per year. Often, he takes over for other attorneys when it becomes clear that a case will need to be tried.
Recent trials include:
- An 8-day jury trial where he obtained a verdict for more than $400k against several defendants – including a Fulton County Commissioner – for malicious prosecution.
- A 3-day arbitration for construction fraud where he obtained an award in favor of a homeowner client for $260k, including $100k in damages.
- A defense win (non-material damages awarded) after a 3-day jury trial in a conversion case.
- A defense win (non-material damages awarded) after a 3-day jury trial against a residential landlord for wrongful eviction.
- Grant of a motion to convert chapter 13 bankruptcy case into chapter 7 after an evidentiary trial.
- Victory for owner of real property, which resulted in complete ownership, after trial in front of a special master.
- A defense verdict after a 2-day trial in a defamation case.
Mr. Huffman is known for his cross-examination through which he has obtained an apology on the stand from the opponent in two separate cases. See Case Results below for other examples.
Raves from Clients:
“[Mr. Huffman] and his associate took on an especially complicated case for me …. throughout the four-day trial … [Mr. Huffman] and [his associate] built a bizarre, iffy case into a winnable one with a very favorable outcome for us. I truly hope you never, ever, need their help but, should you, I recommend them highly without reservation.” J. J. – Fraud case.
You … did a PHENOMENAL job! You are a very gifted attorney; especially your cross examination! N. P. – Fraud and Negligence case.
“I am still happily in shock at the result of this case…Mr. Huffman was amazing in action!!!” J.B. – Defense of conversion case.
“There is a true and real difference between attorneys, and beyond that distinction, you are the best of the best.” C. G. – CEO in Business Dispute case.
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyer – 2024
- Super Lawyer’s Magazine – Rising Stars List (2017 – 2022)
- 2022 Legal Elite
- $2M Recovery – Business Litigation. The client invested ~$1.3M with an individual and business who attempted every trick to avoid repayment including attempting to use the client’s prior criminal history, fraud, and fraudulent transfers. After filing a second suit for fraud and racketeering and successfully deposing a key witness, the opposing party ultimately consented to a settlement, where the client recovered $2M.
- $28M Defense Win – Business Litigation. A competitor of our client sought $28M in damages under an alleged first-right-of-refusal contract. We successfully secured a complete walk away for the client.
- $400k+ Malicious Prosecution Verdict. After an 8-day trial, the jury returned a verdict in excess of $400k for malicious prosecution and intentional infliction of emotional distress, among other claims. The award included a full award of attorney fees. The defendants included a Fulton County Commissioner who was found liable for his role in the arrest and prosecution of Mr. Huffman’s clients.
- Punitive Damages in Arbitration. After a three-day arbitration trial, we secured an award in favor of our client for ~$260k, including $100k in punitive damages against an unlicensed general contractor for fraud. The Defendants then attempted to flee to Florida to escape liability. In response, we secured a pre-judgment attachment against their home with an order to pay the equity into the court registry, which they did.
- Successful Defense. Our client lost summary judgment before retaining our firm. We jumped in and tried the case to a jury over 3 days and were successful in limiting the damages to under $10k, much less than our pre-trial offers. The opposing party’s appeal was also denied.
- Injunction Secured: Represented property owner’s association in obtaining an injunction requiring a club operating on the ground floor of a large high-rise building to shut down after midnight. Heavily litigated and affirmed on appeal.
- Construction Litigation: Successful Defense. Successfully defended general contractor and property owner against four frivolous, inflated, and coordinated mechanic’s liens that would have required a $500k+ bond to discharge before the owner could sell the property. This case was resolved in less than 60 days after several forced depositions and frivolous litigation threats.
- Property Rights: ~$500k Settlement. On the day of trial and after judgment was entered against one defendant (of three), we secured a settlement by other two defendants to pay ~$500k in a case involving slander of title, tortious interference of property rights, and trespass. The settlement amount was more than double the actual damages and attorney’s fees combined.
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty: Reduced Buyout by $500k: Successfully forced a 25% partner out of a business after suing to remove it as Manager, mismanagement, breach of fiduciary duty, and other claims, resulting in a buyout of that partner for $500k less than market value.
- Fraud: $300k+ Verdict. Obtained jury verdict in excess of $300k on behalf of two clients against con-artist who defrauded them out of $90k. The verdict included $100k in punitive damages and a full award of attorney’s fees. An apology was extracted during cross-examination. This verdict was a Top-50 Verdict in Georgia that year.
- Wrongful Foreclosure: ~$200k Loan Forgiveness: Achieved complete forgiveness on a 1st and 2nd mortgage owed to a national mortgage company resulting in an ~$200k forgiveness and a free and clear house to the borrower. This settlement was achieved after vigorously prosecuting a discovery dispute to an attorney’s fee award.
- Negligence/Fraud: $125k Settlement. After two days at trial and before closing arguments, we obtained a settlement of $125k on behalf of student who sued Georgia College and State University for fraud and negligence for not being accredited in the program the student was seeking. The settlement well exceeded all attorney’s fees and special (monetary) damages. The case and successful resolution made local TV. An apology was obtained during cross-examination of the College’s main witness.
- Commercial Eviction / Fiduciary Duty: $100k+ Settlement: Achieved a six-figure settlement against a tenant after aggressively pursuing the business and filing suit against the partners individually (who did not have a personal guaranty) for breach of fiduciary duty for plundering the business of its assets.
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty: ~$100k Verdict. Secured a jury verdict of nearly $100k on behalf of homeowners against their HOA for abusive behavior and breach of fiduciary duty. Verdict included an award of attorney’s fees.
- Business Partnership Dispute: Receivership & Return of Retirement Savings: Represented a business partner, who invested nearly her entire retirement savings in a business, in obtaining a receivership appointed over corporate assets, injunctive relief, and ultimately, a favorable resolution, which returned almost all her retirement savings to her.
- Negligent Construction: Full Damages: After a bench trial, we obtained a verdict for full damages in negligent construction case involving a faulty roof installation for full damages.
- Business Dispute: Complete Dismissal of Claims: Due to aggressive defense in a business partnership dispute with allegations of fraud, racketeering and other claims, we received a complete dismissal with prejudice of all claims against our client.
- Construction: Defense Judgment. Defended a contractor in a negligent construction case involving alleged wrongful permitting and damages resulting from faulty work. Instead, we obtained a judgment on the contractor’s counterclaims and successfully collected it.
- Property Rights: Obtained injunctive relief (an order halting foreclosure) in a wrongful foreclosure case involving two commercial properties and four residential properties, which quickly settled for five figures in damages.
- Property Rights: Complete Relief: Successfully obtained summary judgment and declaratory judgment in favor of a client in dispute with neighbors over ingress/egress rights, easement issues, and land ownership issues. The client received 100% of what was requested including a permanent injunction against the neighbors’ interference.
- Property Rights: We obtained summary judgment and declaratory judgment in favor of client in dispute with neighbor over the ownership of and rights to use a private airport. After noticed for trial, obtained favorable resolution with Defendants.
Appellate and Notable Decisions
Mongeon et al. v. Posey et al., 367 Ga. App. 189 (2023) – Georgia Court of Appeals largely affirmed grant of summary judgment to our clients on their trespass and adverse possession claims.
Starlite Family Entertainment, et al. v. Tara Ciccone, Sup. Ct. of Paulding County (2023), Obtained offensive summary judgment on several defamation claims on behalf of the Plaintiff.
Walker v. Richmond, 362 Ga. App. 803 (2022) – Georgia Court of Appeals reversed trial court’s denial of our client’s motion to set aside judgment.
Wimpy v. Martin, 356 Ga. App. 55 (2020) – In a case, where we only served as appellate counsel, we were successful in getting the Georgia Court of Appeals to reverse the attorney’s fees awarded against our client at trial.
Smith v. Robinson, 355 Ga. App. 159 (2020) , cert. denied – Georgia Court of Appeals affirmed our client’s victory at garnishment court where Defendant was arguing about exemptions undetermined at the appellate level.
Baker v. Pinnacle Credit Union, 2020 WL 4696713(N.D. Ga. Aug. 13, 2020) – District Court judge declined to adopt the Magistrate’s Report and Recommendation and instead granted summary judgment to our client.
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
- Clarence Cooper Inn of Court
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Lawyer’s Club of Atlanta
- State Bar of Georgia
- Emory University School of Law - J.D.
- Covenant College - B.S., Management
Get in Touch
Call Us Today 404-373-4008